Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Are Recruiters Adding Value to IT?

As an independent, one of the vehicles I use to secure leads is the Web-based job search facilities. Though they always generate interest, none, so far, have generated any real business. The reason, I believe, is the recruiter element. Recruiters routinely search the web in search of warm bodies to fill a contract. With only one or two exceptions, no recruiter has really taken the time to understand the job they are trying to fill. Rarely does a recruiter have any knowledge at all of ITIL, business strategy, SOA, COBIT or even Six Sigma. Now, understand, I don’t expect them to be experts, but how can they possibly present a potential candidates skills appropriately, with conviction and insight if they don’t even understand the role they’re trying to fill? OK, I’ll excuse their lack of knowledge in this space. But I cannot excuse their ignorance of the job they’re working. They know nothing more about the job than what might be posted in the job description. None, absolutely none of the recruiters I’ve spoken with can answer any of my questions about the position pertaining to the level of sponsorship, relevant work that may have preceded the project, the team currently on-site, etc.

Even this ignorance wouldn’t be such an issue if it weren’t for the fact that every recruiter wants to know “your rate”. This is usually raised as the second or third question in the initial conversation. My rate, dear recruiter, depends upon what the position requires and the potential for project success. My goal is to spend my time on projects that will succeed. I’ve had a lifetime of working on mediocre projects. I want to know, going in, what the success factors are. We can’t get to that level of discussion if I’m forced to commit to a rate even before you, dear recruiter, can answer my questions about the project. Certainly, every recruiter offers to be available to answer questions. But rarely can any of them really come up with a substantial answer. Most recently, one recruiter, when asked if the position was a leadership or task-oriented function and at what level in the company the project was sponsored, begged off, saying he would have to get back to me. Five hours later I got the answer: “The position is mostly functional.” OK, what the hell does that mean?

So, I ask, is your company getting its value out of the recruiters it hires? Are you doing enough to audit the quality of candidates they send you? Are you working closely enough with your recruiter to prepare them to be effective in running interference for you?

If these basic components are missing, you, as a corporate IT manager, are likely missing out on valuable candidates that can add to the potential for project success. Far too many recruiters I speak with really know NOTHING about the industry I serve. They're just matching warm bodies with key buzz words in the industry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home